Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 installation fails during SCCM OSD Task Sequence

I was running into a problem with the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 during an SCCM 2012 SP1 build and capture Task Sequence, both in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, wherein the installer was running but the log files were not being created.

I was using the Application model in SCCM and executing the offline installer executable with the command line “NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q /norestart” through a VBScript wrapper script.

When the application failed during the task sequence, the error in smsts.log read, in part:

Execution status received: 4 (Application failed to install )
Installation failed.
Install application action failed: 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2'. Error Code 0x80004005
Install Static Applications failed, hr=0x80004005
Process completed with exit code 2147500037
Failed to run the action: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2. 
Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)

If I ran my installation wrapper script from the ccmcache subdirectory while logged on as the local administrator account, the .NET Framework 4.5.2 installation ran successfully.

According to the MSDN page .NET Framework Deployment Guide for Administrators, log files are written to “%temp%\Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5*.txt” and “%temp%\Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5*.html”, but neither of these logs existed on my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems after the installation failed.

However, a log file at C:\Windows\Temp\dd_NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU_decompression_log.txt caught my eye. The contents of this decompression log read:

[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] === Logging started: 2014/05/22 16:42:35 ===
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] Executable: C:\Windows\ccmcache\1\NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe v4.5.51209.34209
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] --- logging level: standard ---
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] Successfully bound to the ClusApi.dll
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] Error 0x80070424: Failed to open the current cluster
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] Cluster drive map: ''
[5/22/2014, 16:42:35] Considering drive: 'A:\'...
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Drive 'A:\' is rejected because of the unknown or unsuitable drive type
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Considering drive: 'C:\'...
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Considering drive: 'D:\'...
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Drive 'D:\' is rejected because of the unknown or unsuitable drive type
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Drive 'C:\' has been selected as the largest fixed drive
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Directory 'C:\26169df5670339bdf66775485ff857\' has been selected for file extraction
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Extracting files to: C:\26169df5670339bdf66775485ff857\
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Error 0x80004005: Failed to extract all files out of box container #0.
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Error 0x80004005: Failed to extract
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] Exiting with result code: 0x80004005
[5/22/2014, 16:42:36] === Logging stopped: 2014/05/22 16:42:36 ===

I Googled the rather generic error messages from the decompression log a little bit and didn’t find anything helpful, although I did find some recommendations to 1) extract the file using 7-Zip and then run the setup.exe, which I did not want to do, or 2) use the traditional Package/Program method, which I considered. On the day that I was going to give up on the Application model and just create a Package, I did a little more Googling on installing .NET Framework 4.5 through an SCCM task sequence and found a thread on the Technet forums that describes the problem exactly and gives a working solution:

.NET 4.5.1 Install only works when running on a UI session

The resolution described in the thread is to edit the properties of the Deployment Type to enabled “Run installation and uninstall program as 32-bit process on 64-bit clients.” (This setting is found on the Programs tab.) I modified the Deployment Type properties to run the installer as a 32-bit process and indeed it did install successfully during the task sequence.

For the Detection Rule, I chose to use a registry setting must exist:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\6414876250E69FF3395387C6C7F05BEB\ProductName = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2

Using the registry to determine the installed version of .NET Framework is rather tricky, but for versions of .NET Framework 4.5 and later, see How to: Determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed.

Best of luck.

P.S. I expect, but will have to validate, that this method of running the installer as a 32-bit process might help with other applications that fail to install during a task sequence but run successfully via Software Center or Application Catalog when a user is logged on.

3 thoughts on “Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 installation fails during SCCM OSD Task Sequence

  1. Brian

    Bumped into the same error, except my solution was to free disk space to allow for the file extraction to complete successfully, they really ought to have more descriptive error messages and a low disk space error is really something all installers should be able to report on.

  2. Steve Campbell

    Thanks for the article. I followed your instructions and it worked right the first time, no errors.

  3. Simon Giesemann

    I had the same error/problem with a .NET 4.5.2 hotfix and your 32-bit trick worked a treat. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *